It’s time for an honest approach to the nutrition game. There is a myth that refuses to die. This myth might be secretly keeping you fat, unable to eat your favourite foods and make it impossible to get and stay lean. This myth has been around far too long.
It’s time for it to die. It’s time to introduce you to the healthy diet hoax
The healthy diet hoax is the idea that there is one healthy and diet, and that it must be followed so that you can achieve your fitness goals.
The only road to six pack abs is a ruthlessly healthy diet?
I call bullshit.
First of all who the fuck gets to decide what is healthy?
They designed the food pyramid so that they were able to sell more grains because it was :
A) more profitable due to taxes
B) We had a surplus of excess grain, corn and wheat
Not because it was healthy. Not because it was the right thing to do. Just simply, they had supply and needed to create demand.
Do our ancestors decide?
The paleo movement is strong. So strong that it is very seductive. Yet people need to understand 3 things. First of all the paleo diet disobeys the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. Second that in the Palaeolithic era, people sometimes ate each other. and third, our ancestors ate to survive, not to perform or look good naked.
How about the esteemed Doctors?
Far too many doctors I know personally, and I have a feeling you do as well are overweight and do not have their health in check. Furthermore many doctors are not trained for the disciplines of nutrition, human performance and fitness.
Alas this is the answer? Unfortunately the good, well educated of the bunch are far and few between. While many of these folks have there hearts in the right place, they simply don’t have the right knowledge or drive to give the proper advice. Furthermore like many doctors, I also know many personal trainers and even nutritionists that are overweight and unhealthy. It’s the blind leading the blind.
So what is the right diet then?
Well there are 5 components.
1. It obeys the laws of thermodynamics – Calories in, Calories out is the name of the game. Eat more than you burn and you will gain weight. Eat less then you burn and you will lose weight.
2. It is balanced – The Atkins diet, the zone diet, The pH diet, Low fat, low carb – many fads have come and gone, yet one stands true to this day. The Balanced diet. That means proper ratios of protein, fat and carbohydrate to support proper training, hormone regulation and health.
3. It works with your body – some people have allergies. Others have intolerances. Others have nothing. Learn your body. There is no perfect diet for anyone.
4. It is aligned with your fitness goals – Do you want to gain weight or lose it? Build muscle? Maintain your body? Kick fat loss into overdrive? Whatever your fitness goal, you must tailor your diet to that goal.
5. It includes your favourite foods – A diet without ice cream is bound to fail. Now obviously thats not true. The point is that your diet must consist of your favourite “cheatyyy” foods. They provide satiety, calmness to the constant psychological warfare associated with dieting and they are good for your tongue.
Again don’t fall for the healthy diet hoax. It is a fallacy that refuses to die.
This doesn’t mean however you can go and eat like shit, as long as it fits your macros… Eating healthy foods have a variety of life enhancing benefits.
However eating too much healthy food will still make you fat. Balance your diet. Enjoy some dessert. Hit your daily macros and calories and watch the pounds fall off and the muscle pile on.