Getting a strong midsection is all about getting to a low body fat percentage. In most cases, that usually means getting below 11%.
Everyone is born with abs. But after years of a lack of exercise and poor eating habits, sitting, they might now be hiding under a layer of fat. Fortunately for us there are only 2 simple steps involved to getting a strong core.
The First Step Towards A Strong Core Is To Lose Fat.
You do this by eating less calories then you burn. Get your diet in check first because it provides 80% of the results.
1. Calculate your maintenance calories. Your current bodyweight x 14.5
2. Calculate your deficit. Goal bodyweight x 12 or x 11 if you want to be aggressive.
3. Now that you have your calories, set your macronutrient ratios accordingly.
35% Protein, 35% Carbs , 30% Fat
4. Stay consistent to the course. It took you years to pack on that spare tire. Its not gonna magically disappear in a month.
5. Track everything that you eat. I mean everything. Be obsessive for the first month. That splash of milk in your coffee? Yes track that. That innocent finger dip into the Nutella jar when no one is looking? Definitely log that one.
Now the second part is to actually develop the core and train them so that when you do reveal them, they will look like they’ve been photoshopped on.
Follow this abs routine 3 days a week. You may perform this after your usual strength training session or on its own.
My Favorite Core Finisher Routine…
Perform 1 set of each exercise subsequently with little to no rest in between sets. Rest 1 Minute between circuits. Perform the this circuit 3 times.
Plank 1-3 Min.
(Weighted) Hanging leg raises 12-15 reps.
Side to Side knee ups. 12-15 reps.
You don’t need to confuse your muscles (last time I checked, your muscles lacked cognitive ability) or do tons of ab work. Simply put your head down, train your abs 3 days a week, hit your calories and macronutrients consistently.
Consistency is key. Nothing fails like success. Don’t cheat because you’ve been good. Cheat, because you’ve achieved your goal.
Everyone is born with abs, its now time to strip away the years of belly fat built up and reveal the hard work to the world.